Start Date and Status
Arcadia landscape design was founded in 1985 and has been run from its present location since 1990 when it merged with Pudding Lane Nursery which is a partnership.
Arcadia in a Nutshell
The business is family-owned and began with the setting up of Pudding Lane Nursery in 1983. We were always plant enthusiasts and the nursery concentrated on plant propagation and production. The plants were sold direct to the public and it quickly became necessary to augment the range of plants.To this end we established links with suppliers in Holland, Germany, Italy and throughout the UK. Our aim has been to provide a wide range of quality garden plants within a relaxed and natural setting in which advice was easily sought and given.
The incorporation of Arcadia Landscape was a natural progression stimulated by customers wanting practical help. We are now actively engaged in both the commercial and private sectors covering design, construction and maintenance. We do not discriminate on the size of project work. Last year, 2004, we undertook project work which ranged in value from £40.00 to £ £50,000. In general, we do not sub contract work, although there are times when it is more appropriate to use the services of a specialist.
Currently we have eight landscape staff, all of whom have a minimum 3 years experience within Arcadia Landscape Design. Additional backup is available from the nursery staff who are able to advise on plant selection, maintenance and care.
In the commercial sector are current list of clients include the following organisations and companies:
Our residential clients include :
- Nelson and Bakewell (for Lloyds TSB Pension Funds)
- Honeywell Control Systems (Bracknell)
- Thales, Gillette UK (Reading)
- Defra European Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (Shinfield)
- Fairbriar Homes Ltd
- Wreford Landscape (Crest Homes and Westbury Homes)
- Mr and Mrs Smith who are keeping up with Mr and Mrs Jones, who are also clients.
Location and Facilities
Arcadia Landscape is collocated with our plant nursery at:
Pudding Lane Nursery
Berkshire RG2 9 HP
We are very easy to find. Reading Road is the A327. We are approximately 5 miles south of Reading; 2.5 miles south of the M4 and 0.25 miles north west of Arborfield. Please follow this link for a map of our location.
The nursery has good parking, plant displays and a natural environment. We have been quoted as being into “rustic fundamentalism”.
Our landscape facilities include a vehicle park, equipment and machinery storage barn, workshop, aggregate bays and building materials storage area.
Our aim is to provide a quality service to our customers that encompasses garden and landscape design, construction, long-term care and maintenance. The dual nature of our business, having both nursery and landscaping operations, enhances our ability to understand and interpret the needs and desires of our customers. It also broadens the experience that can be applied to a project.
The following are important to the way that we do business:
- Our work is often conducted in the customers’ home or work place. We will respect this situation by being polite and tidy at all times.
- Our policy is to always price fairly.
- It is more important to maintain our integrity rather than gain some short-term advantage in dealing with our customers.
- Decisions taken during projects are always to be in the best interests of the customer. If the latter incurs an extra cost that warrants charging the customer, then approval must be given prior to implementation.